Tuesday, November 14, 2006


The Ramblings of a Lunatic….

At least that is what I feel like sometimes. What does it all mean? Does it have to mean anything? Can I just ramble to ramble??? I guess it’s my blog, I can do whatever I want. But I think about these things. The eternal question – why are we here? I don’t find myself asking that nearly as much as questions such as “are we making a difference?” Then the question becomes “a difference in what?” What do we, as humans, contribute? And what, are we contributing it to?

Think about this…. I was watching a show on TV the other day on black holes. They were getting fairly deep into it and of course I had read about this stuff before. But the graphics were very cool and Fuego and I were shooting tequila so I found it fairly interesting.

During the last few years there have been significant developments which allowed us to learn about and pinpoint where some of these black holes are – 60+ million light years away (or maybe it was 13? That’s a rather unlucky number isn’t it?). There is one in our own galaxy and one in the nearby galaxy (it’s all relative at this point). Apparently, they are no longer concerned with the sun going super-nova and wiping us out. Now the model suggests that our two galaxies will collide and fuse together. They don’t know if this will destroy us, or give us the best light show ever…..all over the course of a 2-million year cycle…..and that’s after it starts.

So while I think it’s really neat, and I realize that there are scientists just like this all over the world thirsting for one type of knowledge or another, what does it mean? What good does it do mankind, right now or in the immediate future (let’s be nice and give ‘em a few thousand years)?

And then there are “the others.” The countless minions of sheeple that walk the earth and do nothing more than exist. They might be good, and might be evil. They exist simply to exist and are usually far more concerned about what Britney spears did than the realities of our lives and the universe we inhabit. And, as much as I hate to say it, I think most of us fall into this category. Not necessarily as sheeple (but OMG there are a ton of them out there), but as humans that don’t really contribute to the greater good of mankind (feminist freaking out over the word “mankind” need to get a grip). Forget the earth for a moment…. I mean, really…global warming? Nuclear war? We are but a spec in the cosmic time frame of the earth. We could annihilate ourselves with nuclear weapons and in a few million years (a pittance to Mother Earth) the planet would be just fine. Most of this is a way to make ourselves feel better anyway.

So these were my thoughts this morning as I clipped along at 60 ~ 80 mph along a snow blown canyon road. BTW – have you ever had dipping dots? That’s exactly what the snow looked like.

I saw two large herds of beefalo’s, a bunch of antelopes, cows, and the occasional bird. It was snowing fairly well this morning. And then it all went away. The ski resorts are no longer sure if they’ll be able to open up or not. That’s disappointing as I was hoping to get some snowboard time in ASAP after getting back from TX.

No comments: