Friday, November 17, 2006

Going Home…..Finally.

Well the wheel is in motion. It’s turning and hopefully I won’t be crushed underneath it. The bottom line is I am finally going home. I am not sure exactly how this is going to happen and I can’t comment further on them at this time. But, before the New Year I will be home.

So I’ve been thinking of things I want to do to the house. I haven’t been there much in the last 2 years, and the house is almost 10 years old, now. I have some ideas for some minor improvements and thought I might just catalogue them real quick:

Tile the kitchen floor – the linoleum is old and starting to look like it. I’d like to tile the kitchen area but last time I calculated this it was going to cost about $5000 to do it. I need to see if I can get the cost down. If I can get it down to about $3000 then that would be sweet!

Pergo / Hardwoods – this would be to replace the carpet in the den and hallway areas. I think I can do this myself with some friends and few cases of beer. Of course, I guess I can’t complain about the results later, but the materials would probably still run me about $1500. I’d also re-paint the baseboards at the same time and spiff it up.

Bar Stools – I have a foosball table in my dining area, so there isn’t any place to really eat except at the bar. I’ve been trying to find some kick-ass stools for years but the good ones are about $500+

Re-stuff the sofa cushions – I have a leather sofa. The leather is in good shape, but the foam could be re-done in the cushions. I hear that you can get it done fairly cheap so that is an easy fixer-upper.

Seal the Garage floor – I’ve always wanted to do this for some reason. It’s cheap and just takes a little time and effort.

Place wear – I need to get some new plates, glasses, etc. I have the cheap crap from long ago, but it’s time to get rid of it and get some nicer stuff.

Yard work – the yard is not in bad shape, but it needs some tweaking. Flowers, pruning the hedges, etc.

I’m sure there are other things I’ll come up with, but this is a good start and will get me used to being around the house again. I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: