Monday, December 11, 2006

Weekend Trip

This weekend some friends of mine rented a cabin. The cabin was in Yellowstone up in the sticks a bit. It was in the snow, and in the cold. No heater, no electricity, no running water and no bathroom. A fairly nice outhouse was situated outside the cabin about 100 feet away. As you can probably guess there wasn’t any light or heat in there either. Brrrr…..

We also had to break into the cabin because we didn’t bring the combination for the padlock on the back door. No problem though, the cabin was built in 1929 and you can probably imagine that security of the cabin wasn’t that serious.

The cabin had a wood burning stove in one room. It was actually colder in the cabin than it was outside. Amy got that sucker fired up and some of the guys proceeded to take turns chopping and splitting wood. The national forestry was kind enough to stack up sections of trees they had cut down for us to chop. I say sections because they were approximately 1.5 ~ 2 feet in diameter and 1.5 ~ 2 feet thick. I hadn’t chopped wood in a long time so I was a bit rusty, but we got quite a bit cut before the light finally ran out.

There were 13 people there and everyone brought something to share. I brought jambalaya, another guy made some tasty fried chicken right on the front porch. Others brought salads of varying types or booze (way more booze than we could all drink!). We even did a white-elephant Xmas and I scored some sweet picture cards of Yellowstone wildlife which I plan to frame later on.

After dinner the liquor started to flow and we played some games including “I never” and “Taboo.” We had a few folks get hosed. One doesn’t remember playing Taboo. It was quite an interesting evening and if I ever get a hold of some of the pics I will post them up to share. My camera had a dead battery and since there wasn’t any electricity I couldn’t charge it up.

We crashed out and I was lucky enough to score a top bunk, but it wasn’t in the main room so it was a tad chilly. Early in the morning my bladder reminded me that I needed to go take a leak, but I wasn’t about to climb out of bed and get dressed to go into a freezing outhouse.

After a nice breakfast we all chipped in to clean the cabin up (it was a wreck at this point) and put everything back in order. We left the cabin and headed into Yellowstone National Park to hit the boiling river. The boiling river is a spot where two rivers come together. One river is ice cold, and the other is fed from natural hot springs and is literally boiling hot. You hang out in the pools where the two currents come together and get a pretty good mixture of cold, cool, warm, or hot water depending on where you are. The really cool thing is that every time someone moved it changed the currents and it would alter your temperature as well. The worse part was getting out in the cold and having to get changed / dressed. I’m sure Bling! would have been cussing up a storm. Scratch that, he’d have never gone in the first place. One look at the water and snow and he’d have gone back to the car to turn the heater on.

From there we all headed back towards Bozeman and stopped off at this tasty Mexican food place where we all proceeded to scarf down on some very good grub. I got back into Bozeman about 6:30 and promptly sacked out until this morning. I didn’t realize how tired I was.

All in all, it was a lot of fun!!!
Pics of the trip can be seen here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you make me sound like a pussy. Why don't we just try one of Buddha's Chili cookoffs, say around AUGUST, and we'll see who wants to head inside?

-bRad said...

I don't make you sound like a pussy. I am saying you hate snow and the cold. Are you going to say you don't?

And yes, the heat back home will kick my ass this summer.