Monday, July 31, 2006

More Job Issues

Ok, so here is the latest. I was out in California at the home office and had a chance to sit down with the owner and CTO. What I was basically told is that while they want me in Bozeman, MT they do not want to sign a contract. Ok, no problem.

I am not going to re-hash all the issues with moving there....you can scroll through my blog to find them. :-)

In any case, I was going to write an email to find out that if I moved there what would the conditions be? Considering that this has gone through multiple iterations over the last year I didn't want anything to be misconstrued.

Here is what I got (exact quote from the email, though some has been omitted for privacy):

To be sure that there is no misunderstanding or ambiguity to what’s “on the table”, the purpose of this e-mail is to summarize with certainty what the Company’s position is in regard to you possibly moving to Montana.

Salary - what it is now
Commission - what it is now
Moving expense allowance - $7,500
Car rental - Company will pay the rent until Dec 31, 2006. None after that.
Housing allowance - none after August 31, 2006
Personal travel allowance - none
Common Stock questions - as defined in the Employee Option Agreement sent to you last week. Vacation and other benefits - as defined in the Employee Handbook
Assurance of Employment - Should the work environment change in Montana where full time work was no longer profitable, Skyline would use its best efforts to keep you employed by seeking work in other parts of the country.


Basically....NOTHING. So I replied stating that it was me taking all the risk and that I couldn't see the company as taking any real risk. So forget it. It isn't going to work.

The reality is that I'll come back here....and then probably go contract, losing my benefits, and then I'll look for another job. At least hDEFY in the DFW area there are plenty to be had, unlike Bozeman, MT. Who knows? Maybe things will work out. It's been an interesting ride.

1 comment:

-bRad said...

I appreciate the support and enthusiasm. It didn't seem to me that the company was negotiating in good faith. The thing that really upsets me about all this is that I have truly struggled with trying to make a decision.

At least after this it wasn't a struggle anymore.