Saturday, July 01, 2006

Those That I Rode With:

There were approximately 22 people in our group. Of those 22 a few were couples and rode two up. I rode with just about everyone in the group at least once (there are some exceptions though they were not intentional). Here they are:


Mike and John – two Boston boys from the East Coast with thick accents and a great sense of humor. John is a bit of a mess, but a very likeable guy. I think everyone got along with him. Mike is also funny as hell and has the honor of grinding the cylinder heads on his BMW (read further). I rode with both of them on multiple days and often they were the highlights of my trip.

Carolyn – a really great rider who I rode with on a few occasions as we picked up the pace!

Keith and Katie – a really nice couple that was riding two up. Keith was hysterical and a smart ass so you can probably imagine that I enjoyed his company. Katie was a sweetheart and a real trouper of a wife. I wish them both well.

Andrew – While most of us were smartasses and what not, Andrew was the clown of the group. He always had something funny to say, and a penchant for good wine. He rode by himself most of the time, but everyone enjoyed his company at dinner.

Portor – This guy had been on multiple tours. I didn’t see him and his g/f much as they were usually off on their own. A nice guy and I’m disappointed that we didn’t get to ride together.

Sheila – very interesting lady that was celebrating her 60th birthday!! She has had some interesting carriers and travels and was always welcome around the bar or dinner table.

Jack and Georgette – another couple that I didn’t get to ride with very much.


Elizabeth (Liz) – Liz and I hung out quite a bit. She is married with a great husband and kids back home. Being a beginner she rode more miles with us than she had on her own bike. Still, she did great and picked up some good riding skills along the way.

Mike and Jo – another couple that was riding the tour. I didn’t ride with them as a two-up, but Mike came along on the faster “rest” days. Good rider and I enjoyed watching his lines as he carved up the twisties.

Ray (a.k.a. Tex) – When I first met Ray, I didn’t like him. But as it turned out he was hysterical and a great Good ‘Ol Boy from Texas. He is in his 60’s and seeing as much of the world as he can while he can still do it. He was the one guy that would always come out with some off the wall comment that would get us all rolling.

Bill and Sue – a Texas couple that I ended up never riding with. That’s ironic because it was the one couple from Texas that I emailed and was going to ride with.

Nick – a last minute fill in from Uganda in South Africa!!! Nick was great to hang out with and was a serious power house beer man. I couldn’t keep up with him in the bars, but I think I had him on the roads. He has invited some of us to Uganda for an “unofficial” tour.









Art and Colleen – Shawn’s parents. Really nice folks that I enjoyed talking with from time to time out on the balconies.

Shawn – Shawn is about my age, but much better looking. He’s also a better rider and he was definitely the craziest rider of the group.

No comments: