Saturday, July 01, 2006


Day 1 - Greetings from the Tin Can Man!
Munich, Germany


Or at least that is what I felt like today. I left for Germany at approximately 10:00am CMT. My flight actually took off at 12:15. Nothing unusual getting to Canada. Then I had a three hour layover in which I met a real nice guy named Peter. Peter was studying to be a brewmeister and had just graduated. He also is from Germany, but went to school in Palo Alto, Ca. So he is telling me all about these beers, and those beers, and I am thinking “this is a guy I need to know!”

Needless to say the flight to Germany was long, but fairly uneventful. However, I don’t sleep well on airplanes and when the sun started coming up at 1:00am MST you can imagine it just made sleeping impossible. Interestingly enough, the German’s are very relaxed when it comes to entering their country. No declaration forms, no hassles, no B.S. Welcome to Germany!!

I had to grab about 1.5 hrs of sleep before I met the group to go get our bikes. I was still tired so I didn’t feel like riding much before I went back to the hotel. It’s been a long day. Two hours sleep in more than 24 hours at this point. I am about to sack out and get some zzzzzz’s for the ride tomorrow.

There are 22 people in our group and a few are riding two up. We rented all kinds of BMW bikes and spent most of the evening and dinner discussing what we ride, where we ride, etc. We are all looking forward to the ride tomorrow!!

A few quick notes:
The Europeans here don’t believe in A.C. Forget it. It’s hot and humid and a bit on the uncomfortable side.
The Europeans here don’t believe in ice. They look at you like you are high if you ask for it.
I saw more Aprilia motorcycles today in the hour I walked around than I have seen in the last year.
It’s very green and pretty here.
There are motorcycle shows on the T.V. – which I can’t understand a single word, but I watch them anyway.

No comments: