Monday, July 16, 2007

Things Never Change


Today I was driving around running a few errands and for whatever reason decided to throw in my Stormtroopers of Death CD - Speak English or Die

SOD was one of the early thrash bands that bordered on punk and death metal. Mostly made up of Anthrax members, they wrote and recorded the album in about 3 days. I'm not sure, but it's even my earliest recollection of a type of music called "grind" which later matured to be even heavier.

You can't take SOD seriously, but I found it ironic that some of the lyrics from their classic hits are still relevant today almost 20 years later (album was released in 1987). I thought I'd share some of these melodies with you, gentle reader, to show you what I mean:


Speak English or Die

You come into this country
You can't get better jobs
Boats and boats and boats of you
Go home you fucking slobs
Selling hot dogs on the corner
Selling papers in the street
Where you come from must be beat

Chorus:
You always make us wait
You are the ones we hate
You can't communicate
Speak English or die

You don't know what I want
You don't know what I need
Why must I repeat myself
Can't you fucking read?
Nice fucking accents
why can't you speak like me?
What's that dot on your head,
Do you need it to see?


And, 20 years earlier this throwback to a more civilized time:

Fuck The Middle East
Fuck the middle east
There's too many problems
They just get in the way
We sure could live without them
They hijack our planes
They raise our oil prices
We'll kill 'em all and have a ball
And end their fucking crisis.

Beirut, Lebanon - won't exist once we're done
Libya, Iran - we'll flush the bastards down the can
Syrian and Shites - Crush their faces with our might
Then Israel and Egypt can live in peace without these dicks!

And of course, with global warming:


No Turning Back

The atmosphere is breaking up
Sunlight starts to burn my skin
Loosing weight, but I swell
Wish I'd die and leave this hell
Cannot stop no turning back
Rays that burn my front and back
Our solar death that we deserve
For being ignorant with our world.

Chorus:
We will die, we will fry
We never learn, so now we burn!

The time has come to start again
But first we all must see the end
By hand of God or man
To oblivion we descent
I think that this is understood
Wouldn't stop it if I could
Time for the human race to die
And give our world a chance to thrive!

No comments: