Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Where do YOU Want to Squat?

I often get multiple emails from my company folks reinforcing how great it is to live in either MT or CA. Just recently Bozeman was ranked in the top 10 of "dream places to live." I do not know who or what ranked them.

So today I was flipping through Money Magazine and they had their own Top 90 places to live. Here are the results:

The scores were based on the following:

Populations exceeding 50,000 – probably wiped out most of the MT cities right there.
Screened out cities of more than 300,000 people.

Eliminated cities with low education scores, high crime rates, absurdly high housing costs, declines in employment, or income less than 90% of the state’s median.

Ranked remaining cities on economic opportunity (income, job growth and affordability), quality of life indicators, etc.

And the rankings are:
Ranking it at #1 was Fort Collins, CO with a population of 128,000 and a typical family home at $215k.

Montana had ZERO hits, but that is probably due to either the low population or housing costs (or both?).

CA had five hits.

And TX had NINE hits. A full 10% percent with 1 city being in the top 5.

Of cities over 300,000 in population TX grabbed one spot, and CA grabbed a spot.

TX isn't such a bad place to live after all. TX also happens to have the BEST income-to-cost-of-living ratio in the U.S. but they don't care about that. It was nice to be able to have some data to throw back in their face a bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I've lived ALL over this planet, in some of the nicest and worst places on earth. Let me tell ya, taken together, North Texas is one of the best places to live. It's got great social interaction, lot's of jobs, good economic growth, not bad traffic, pretty girls, relatively cheap housing and is easy to fly or drive to. I been living here for 10 years (wow, really? huh.) and I won't be moving if I can help it. They've got a bumper sticker here that decribes my place pretty well: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

Did I mention the pretty girls?

Miss Carnivorous said...

Texas is the place to be. Although I can not deny the immense beauty of the state of California. I have to live near the ocean so it would be the gulf of Texas for me. Galveston, oh Galveston.

-bRad said...

well I can tell you that the better looking chicks are in MT and VC, Canada. I don't know what happened to TX, but it went way downhill in the hot chicks department.

The Gulf in TX isn't nearly as pretty as the shoreline in CA. But the water is warm and you don't freeze your nuts off taking a dip.

Anonymous said...

Thats because you run off all the yankee chics! Duh!