Saturday, May 23, 2009

Nuclear Dreams

I had a really bad dream the other morning. Note that I said morning and not night. Because I don’t sleep really well at night my best time to sleep is in the morning. I don’t dream often, and I usually don’t remember them but this one was a little different.

It started off fairly benignly. My and a friend were hanging out and were supposed to catch a flight to some place in the Caribbean. As dreams go, we missed the flight and ended up in some hotel. No real significance there. While in the hotel I was looking out the window and I could see the landscape – somewhere near a beach. I could make out the landscape, buildings, trees and water way off in the distance. Suddenly, there was an impact of some type, a bright flash, and then a big cloud. I thought we might be far enough to make it.

In my dream a sea of fire rushed across the landscape after the shock wave. I then knew I’d survived the shock wave, but didn’t know if we could escape the advancing fire. Again, it’s a dream so it doesn’t have to be based in much realism. Fortunately, we were in some funky concrete building and just on the edge of the advancing fire. But then I saw another impact, and flash of light.

Now I was trying to figure out why we were being attacked and again I was afraid we wouldn’t survive this one. I felt the shock wave, but the building stood. Things are getting worse. And as I stare off I see the next bomb coming in….watched it arc across the sky, and then I see it explode and the light is so blinding that I can’t see any more and am submerged into darkness. Now I know I am going to die and I have mere milliseconds to live. My mind is racing and I begin to feel the building shudder, then….
Nothing. Except I still have consciousness. Am I alive? Is this what it’s like to be dead? I can’t hear or see anything.

Slowly I begin to realize I am awake. But I didn’t jump up out of this dream like you usually do when you have a bad dream and wake up right before you die. I think that’s what was so freaky about it. Because I was apparently ½-awake already I really thought I was going to die, which is just slightly different from dreaming it outright. It’s very hard to explain but in this instance the lines between dreamland and reality were really blurred. Ever had a dream in which you incorporated real-world sounds and stimulus into your dream? If you can imagine that, and then try to picture how I dreamed that it would be close.

No comments: