Monday, May 04, 2009

My Dreams

I don’t sleep very well. I never have. I’m not sure what type of sleep disorder I deal with, but I seem to have had it all my life. There is something called the circadian rhythm, which is the cycle an organism goes through in any given 24-hour period. It regulates when you are active and when you want to sleep.

In my case, if I were left to my own devices I’d stay up until about 2:00 or 3:00am every night and then get up around 10:00am in the morning. Only because of work do I alter this and force my body to do something it doesn’t want to do.

I don’t know if it’s because I interrupt my natural rhythm or because of something else but I have never been able to sleep very well. Because of that, I don’t dream very often or at least don’t dream to the extent at which I remember them.

But I do have some common re-occurring themes in my dreams:

Theme 1 – I can’t hurt people. No matter what the situation is I can’t hurt someone. Let’s say I am dreaming that I am fighting with someone. In that case I can hit them or pull their hair or whatever all I want and it doesn’t affect them. If I have a gun, the gun fails to fire correctly (as in the bullet barely travels out of the gun) or just magically doesn’t inflict any real damage to the person if it manages to fire.

Theme 2 – Ever seen those long overpasses used to interconnect highways? Well, in my dreams there is often one that goes from one highway to another and I have to traverse it in my vehicle (the actual vehicle is irrelevant). As you go up and onto the ramp and it starts to curve in the new direction of travel it also twists so that the asphalt surface becomes perpendicular to the ground as opposed to parallel to it. If you were to travel fast enough, you could stick to the surface and go around the ramp. This reminds me of playing with little cars and stuff as a kid. You’d build these things where the cars stick to the surface from the g-force. But in my dreams you can’t go fast enough and the whole car slides off the ramp and falls into space.

I never land, nor do I wake up in some kind of terror sweat. The dream just ends. It’s interesting that the girl I date has the same type of dream so I wonder if this is a common dream? Note that I am not afraid of these ramps in real life for any reason, including their height.

No comments: