Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rush Limbaugh Phony Soldier

On my way to Sonic this morning I was listening to some talk radio show. It was whatever is on 105.3 in the AM. They brought up the Rush Limbaugh scandal, which has to do with him calling any soldier that disagrees with the situation in Iraq a “phony soldier.”

This peaked my interest so I kept listening. According to the show Rush had made this disparaging remark right on the heels of the General Patraeus scandal. The show proceeded to rail on Rush and brought up how the response from Rush that this was taken out of context was nothing more than a spin job.

So, now I am really curios as to what is going on. They then played a very small clip from one of his shows and he did indeed use the term “phony soldier.” So now I’m a bit irritate and somewhat incredulous, but I figure there has to be more to the story or that I should at least investigate it some.

On the talk show, one guy called in and tried to explain the situation and was quickly dismissed and cut off. The hosts of the show would hear none of it.

It would really make me mad if he said these terrible thing. I believe that as an American you are entitled to not only your opinion but the right to speak your opinion. AND, that it does not make you unpatriotic to disagree with something. If you are over there fighting for me and the right to speak my mind, you certainly have the right to speak yours.

In any case, I get back to the house and am sucking down my elixir of caffeine, cola, an sugar also known as the Nectar of the Gods, or Dr. Pepper as it’s more commonly known and start doing a quick search on this.

What I find out in my investigation is that the Media Matters for America group flaunted portions of a transcript of the Limbaugh show that fairly purposely would mislead one to the conclusion that Rush did indeed say these things in negative light. But even MSNBC admitted that they researched the exact transcript of the radio show and that what Rush said and what Media Matters reported are not the same thing.

In short, Rush was referring to a specific person that had lied about their service record and called him, as well as anyone else that did the same thing, a phony soldier.

What really irks me is not only the typical partisan slander of one group to another, but the media’s quick attention to blow the issue out of proportion without investigating it to any real extent.

If a sap like me can take 10 minutes to figure this out, why can’t someone else? Perhaps we hear what we want to hear.

No comments: