Friday, October 26, 2007

Saving Water one Piss at a Time!


I was teaching at the San Jose campus for Cisco Systems. At this particular facility they have installed the Sloan Water Free Urinals in the men’s bathroom. Now I had seen and used these before, but this was the first time I used one on a regular basis in a non-public building.

The web page for Sloan advertises that these are “odor-free.” I’m not sure what they mean by that. My guess is that the intent is that under normal use they aren’t supposed to smell. Or maybe, it’s a marketing thing and they are saying that the porcelain doesn’t smell. No shit. But let me tell you something - these things may save millions of gallons of water every year, but they stink to high heaven.

Now Cisco has a nice campus facility and as far as I could tell the bathrooms were maintained at least twice a day. These were not highly trafficked bathrooms but this thing stank so bad I had to hold my breath to be near it. I ended up going in the stalls just to get away from it. That and the pubic hairs and crap all over it just made it completely revolting to even be around.
I’m sure we can think of some other way to save water than to make us have to put up with nasty, stinky, latrines.

No comments: