Friday, October 26, 2007

California Gay Rights and Liberalism

I’ve always viewed California as a pretty radical liberal state. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I reside in Texas, which is pretty conservative. So I wasn’t entirely shocked when my friend, Phil, sent me a link to this article posted on Townhall.com.

The article indicates that CA has recently passed three new bills that will radically change how the state educational system views and allows sexual subject and content to be introduced to children.

SB 777 bans anything in public schools that could be interpreted as discriminating against homosexuality, bisexuality, transexuality, etc.

AB 394 requires the state department to monitor adherence to anti-discrimination and anti-harassment requirements involving “actual (or get this) perceived gender identification and sexual orientation.”

AB 14 prohibits funding to any program that does not support alternative sexual practices. This includes, but is not limited to, state-funded social services run by churches.

Now before you go off thinking I have a hard-on (no pun intended) against homosexuals or something to that effect that is simply not true.

I do, however, take issue with the state educational system or government funded programs being allowed to dictate that we have to require all kind of alternative lifestyles be incorporated into our programs.

I don’t think a young child growing up should be subject to learning about homosexuality or transexuality in school. Not only do I believe that is the parents responsibility (although most parents aren’t doing a good job of this), but it’s hard enough growing up and figuring yourself out much less having to try to choose which bathroom to use based on a sexual preference you can’t even begin to understand.

It’s also interesting the The Governator vetoed similar bills earlier, but now signed these in to law. The article isn’t able to explain this one, either.

The last paragraph is of particular importance because I pretty much agree with it. In summary, the author writes that:
“We must make Americans aware of what is happening and be prepared to fight it. Either that or we must be prepared for the “tolerant” left to begin persecuting those who advocate social and cultural positions opposed to theirs. This is as gross an abuse of power as I have ever seen.”

I don’t completely agree with the “gross abuse of power” but this is certainly going to set a precedence. Private schooling in CA is exploding due to issues like this. I certainly would not want my child coming home from school wondering if they should be gay or not, if they are gay or not, or were born the wrong gender altogether.

One thing I do not understand about liberalism is the ideology that everyone is allowed to be their own person and have individual rights provided that you are forced to acknowledge everyone else’s beliefs and cultural stances.

I think that were the goal to increase tolerance of other sexual behaviors and cultural stances that it could be done in a better way.

No comments: