Friday, August 03, 2007

I’m a Dumb-Ass!

Yesterday, I was talking to a trainer at the gym about signing up for some sessions. I told him I’d take 5 sessions just to tweak my training regiment. He said that was great and asked how I’d like to pay. Credit card, of course.

Then it hits me like one of those times when you are stuck on the freeway in rush-hour traffic in downtown Dallas and you suddenly have to go to the bathroom. Really, really bad.

I lost my wallet.

Not just a credit card or something, but the whole freaking thing! I went to the grocery store (which I lothe to do anyway) after working out and bought some fruits and veg to eat. Since I had my gym shorts on, I didn’t have a pocket to put my wallet in and stuck it on the little tray that is part of the grocery cart. I even remember telling myself not to do that because I’d forget it.

Sure enough, I did.

Scramble back to the grocery store (three hours later). The carts have all been taken inside. I go in and check, but they haven’t had a wallet turned in. Scramble back home and start calling banks and what-not to have my credit cards cancelled and re-issued.

I also went to the DPS today to get a new photo ID issued. Something tells me that this picture wouldn’t fly anymore.

Dream Theater was last night, and while I couldn’t go to the ATM to get any money out I was fortunate enough to keep a few spare bucks stashed in the house so I had a little money to spend.

It was really strange, though. I felt pretty nekkid out there. Not in the same way as not having my wallet with me, but in the way that I didn’t have a choice. I couldn’t show ID, couldn’t get any money, and couldn’t pay for anything beyond the few bills I had in my pocket.

So now I am waiting for the fallout. I have new credit cards on the way, but I can’t buy airline tickets, rent cars, or get hotel rooms for work. I also am going to have to wait until the new cards come in to setup some of my e-payments again. And, of course, I need to call my insurance companies so that they can re-issue me some new insurance cards.

It’s pretty much a big pain in the ass and I’ll have to watch everything real carefully just in case someone decides to try to steal my identity (never had a problem with this before).

At least the extra rubber I kept in my wallet is easily replaced and not missed…..much.

No comments: