Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Not Wired!


A few days ago I was working out at the gym and went to hit the elliptical machines for some cardio. I grabbed a “Wired” magazine and started reading it. I hadn’t read something like that in a long time, but it’s technology based so I figured I’d enjoy it.

As it turns out, I was wrong. The magazine does focus on technology. But it focuses on trendy technology. The latest cell phones, PDAs, game machines, laptops, etc. Not much on how this stuff works, but a lot on what bells and whistles they have. The formatting of the ‘zine is also geared towards the trendy folks that just have to be connected all the time.

I find it slightly ironic that my career and job is focused on making this technology work so that you can have access to things like this blog on your cell phone, but at the same time I don’t want anything to do with being connected all the time.

I don’t really give a ratt’s ass that my cell phone can surf the web, act as a camera, play videos, play music, etc. I don’t use these features and I certainly don’t want to be in a position where people can get in touch with me via phone, SMS, email, or some other form of communication 24 x 7. And because of this, I also don’t care what the latest cell phone / pda / MP3 player wizardry is that would allow me to do this.

All you hip, trendy, wired to the hilt folks can enjoy living in your virtual world. I’m going to go ride my bike and relish in the sights, sounds, smells, and experiences of the real world.

No comments: