Friday, March 30, 2007

Approaching Storms

Last night we had some good thunderstorms roll through here. There wasn't any hail, but there was some lightning, hard rain, wind gusts, and even a tornado up near Oklahoma. I spent some of that time at dinner with my neighbors, but then came home and chilled in the hot tub to ride the rest of it out.

Now if sitting in a tub full of hot water outside while there is a T-Storm going on doesn't sound like a good idea, well....it isn't. I think my only saving grace is that the houses that are behind me are significantly higher and I think one of the guys is a HAM operator as there is a huge antenna and lightning road that must tower over my house by about 30 feet.

Anyway, I think we get entirely too complacent with our world. We get hung up in the politics (dems vs. Republicans, or libs vs. conservatives), the bullshit entertainment, our jobs, getting food at the grocery store, keeping up with the Joneses, etc.

What we forget to do is stop and smell the roses. It's an age-old saying, but it's so true. Last night I was able to block it all out and appreciate where I was, in the moment. My oak tree is budding out. It's beautiful in it's simplicity. I planted it with my ex-girlfriend when it was only about 7-feet tall and maybe an inch or so in diameter. Now it's over the house and providing enough shade to kill off the grass underneath it.

The sky was churning and turning all kinds of colors. Low clouds would whisk by at a high rate of speed all the while changing form and shape. The upper level clouds would lumber slowly while changing their hues and lashing out at the ground with rain and lightning.

My vines on the back fence were swaying with the wind and all around me new plant life was coming forth with the new spring.

For just a moment, all else was forgotten. Fierce beauty reigned supreme and I was just a small part of it.

Then again, maybe it was the Jack Daniels.....

No comments: