Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Ringing in my Ears

I have probably mentioned Dream Theater on here several times. They are one of my favorite bands, but there is another band that I really love called The Tragically Hip. They played in Dallas last night and I was there.

I hadn't seen The Hip in about four years. Me and my friends try to catch them every time they come through the area. Sometimes we'd even drive to Austin or another neighboring city / state just to catch them twice.

This was also the first time I have really seen a concert since having my eyes fixed and I can tell you it made a HUGE difference. I didn't have to take my glasses off from fear of them being crushed in the pit (even though The Hip is not a mosh-type-of-band) and I could clearly see everything going on. For me, that was a beautiful thing.....

The Hip hales from Canada. There, they sell out huge arenas and stadiums. They have a massive following and can pull of a great show. Here, nobody knows who they are. They often don't even sell out the small venues such as the one they played at last night. What this means is that you get to get up close and personal with a band that plays at a caliber far exceeding most "club" bands.

Every time we have seen them in the past they have put on a great show and last night was no exception. The only hard part was paying attention to the band instead of the incredibly cute brunette that was right in front of me and kept asking me about the songs they were starting to play. Too bad her boyfriend was also there.

But, even so we were just a wee bit off the stage and to the right. Almost underneath the huge stack of speakers and it was extremely loud. I should have had my earplugs in, but I think I'll be OK in a day or so.

They tore it up on the songs that were more upbeat like "Locked in the Trunk of a Car" and "Hundredth Meridian," yet were able to draw us in on slower melodies like "It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken," "Fiddler's Green," and "Sherpa High."

Could you feel it move through you? Could you? Because I could feel it move through me.....

No comments: