Thursday, March 15, 2007

How Connected do you Have to be?

I think I am finally getting a new phone. I've been asking for one for months, now. Because our phones are handled by corporate I can't just go out and buy one. Or rather, I could, but it would cost me a lot more.

Anyway, for some time I've been asking for a new Razor. In fact, I've been asking for one so long that they have the new versions of the Razor out. Finally, the girl at corporate said she would order me one and have it sent to me.

Then I get a call from her. She said that some of the higher-ups in the company are looking into getting Trio's for all of the instructors. I teach from time to time, so I fall into that category and she said she would get me one if I want it. I told her "no." She said the reason they were considering this is so that the instructors could get their emails faster and respond quicker. I explained that was exactly why I didn't want one.

Our company is bad enough with people getting upset because you didn't respond to an email within an hour. What would it be like if they knew I had a trio and were getting the emails immediately and that I could theoretically respond immediately? I really don't want to deal with someone being upset because I didn't respond to their email within .05 seconds due to being engaged with a client or having a coke, or even, god forbid, trying to breathe.

Up until I was about 15 years of age, the human race had survived without cell phones. Why is it that people now feel that we can't get by without one. And now, not only do you need your cell phone but it must be online at all times of the night and day so that people can send you crap and you can respond with more crap. I hate that. I just want a phone. I don't want to be "online" with my phone. I don't want the Internet, camera phones, or my email delivered to my phone 24 x 7.

As a friend of mine once put it, if you have one of those things you aren't important. Those are so that the important people can get hold of you.

No comments: