Monday, May 15, 2006


How big is too big??

That was the question I had yesterday as we set out to play horse shoes at the park. I wasn't in a beer drinking mood, but a jack and coke sounded tasty. The only problem is that I didn't have any thermally insulated mugs - all mine are back home in TX. So my friend and I decided to hit the convenience store and buy a couple. When we got there, the "normal" sized mugs were about $5.00 ea. But these puppies were only $1.79 each, and included the first fill-up.

For those of you who enjoy these sized mugs for your morning coffee - thank you for supporting the other gross national product of Columbia, and it's not the monitor that is out of synch and shaking, it's you....ok?

So we filled 'em up with coke and ice before proceeding to pour about a 1/2-liter of JD into each one. We were all set to throw shoes. We played for about 4 hours and of course we had to play two other guys that were drunk and talking smack. They accused us of having the advantage since we "weren't drinking."

It was a beautiful and warm day yesterday as well as today. In fact, it is warmer here than back home in TX. That doesn't happen too often, but fortunately for us up here it will be a very rare thing to get near the century mark. I don't miss that about being back home at all.

When I was flying back from Seattle I was letting my thoughts drift on the plane. Or rather, I was on the plane and my thoughts were drifting. There is an amazing amount of diversity in our landscape here. It can be quite beautiful or quite dull depending on what you are looking at. I then thought of the Buddhist monks that climb the mountain peaks and dedicate their lives to finding peace. Maybe that really is the meaning of life, that your question is wrong and it's really finding inner peace that is what this is all about. At least until you hit an air pocket or see oil leaking from the engine cowling.

And finally, I actually had a decent day at work today. Yes I still had quite a few things on my plate and yes I still had to try to get it all done, but it just wasn't ripe with chaos and I was able to accomplish most of my goals that I set out to do this morning. Usually it's getting slammed with one request after another and I don't get to finish one thing before I am on to something else. I don't think I have ever been this stressed out and disorganized in my whole life. Having more time to work at a decent pace would certainly help.

Almost forgot the last thing - is it just Murphy's law? Why is it that the smoke detector always runs out of battery juice in the middle of the night? We moved into a new house here in Bozeman and it was my first or second night in it. Sure enough, 2:05am - chirp. WTF? chirp Rats!! chirp Maybe I can sleep through it.... chirp Do we even have any batteries? chirp Do we even have a ladder? chirp Maybe I'll just go sleep on the couch.... chirp

No comments: