Tuesday, May 09, 2006

...From the Land of Ice and Snow

Would you believe it? I was in Texas yesterday at home, and the temps were fairly warm. I just saw it is currently 94 there today. I went over to my friend Margot's last night to start working on my contract and watch a movie (thanks Margot, if you are reading this). She tells me that the temperature was going to drop into the 20's here in Bozeman. Well, when I got up this morning it was only 32 and snowing.

So what is it with people that wear shorts and a big fluffy jacket? I'm not talking about someone on a jog or a hike that is wearing something to break the wind a little bit. I'm talking about someone that is dressed like that for the day. Look man, if you are cold then get rid of the flip-flops and shorts and go put on some freaking pants. You don't look cool, you look like a moron that doesn't know how to dress themselves. Yeah, yeah....I know....I am sure I will offend someone with this, but as most of my friends know I am prone to having strong opinions.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to flying around and having bizarre temperature swings. At least the traveling went well....if not a little boring. But that's how I've gotten to like it. My friend, Ron, and I both travel quite a bit. We always call each other with horror stories of a bad flight and give each other a hard time about it. Now, if it's boring, I'm quite content with that. Bouncing through the clouds and plummeting 500 feet on a jet liner while traveling at 400+ mph is not exactly my idea of fun, but it gets you there even if there isn't a good story to tell afterwards.

So my dad is an aerospace engineer. One of my best friends is a mechanical engineer and his fiancee' is an aerospace engineer (they both work on the new Boeing 7e7). Needless to say, I know far more about airplanes than I ever wanted to know. I could calculate the surface area needed on a wing to give it lift when I was about 8 years old (thanks dad!). So my friend's are always telling me their horror stories on airliner design and engineering. We call these "tin file" stories. I get them back, though. I send them "worm file" stories. Let's just say that you better have a strong constitution if you read them. All those noises you hear on an airplane? You don't want to know what they are.....

So onward to Seattle for a few days..... Hopefully I get some good chow while I am out there. I love seafood and there are plenty of clams, mussels and oysters to scarf down.

Stay warm, stay dry....and try not to crash into anything while being contained in an aluminum tube.

No comments: