Thursday, November 20, 2008

Who Wants to Grow Up?


This “demotivational” poster is close to my heart. I’m probably going to hell for this, but when I was a child I pulled this very prank on my grandmother who was getting along in her years.

I couldn’t have been but about five or seven years old and my grandmother was watching me during the day while my parents worked. She was vacuuming and had the vacuum cleaner plugged into an outlet near a bed in the spare bedroom.

I was hiding under the bed and I’d let it run for a moment or two and then yank the plug out of the wall. She’d come back in, look at the plug…look at the socket and plug it back in. Sure enough, I’d wait a moment and then yank it back out. I don’t remember how long this went on for, but I do have a vague memory of trying to not make a sound while she would check out the plug. Of course, I am hurting I am laughing so hard and trying not to laugh all at the same time.

It got kind of serious when she called the electric company AND the fire department because she was afraid there was something wrong with the wiring in the house. There is some fleeting memory of my mom being really pissed at me, but we all laugh about it, now.

I often have friends that ask if I am going to turn 12 this year. I rather like that. I used to date a girl that would always ask when I was going to grow up. Why should I? We aren’t together anymore. Maybe that’s why, but I don’t want to grow up. I want to be a kid the rest of my life. It sure is a lot more fun than being serious all the time.

No comments: