Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trapped in the Restroom

On my last gig, I had gotten to the client’s site early so I could setup. Unfortunately there was a scheduling snafu and I couldn’t get into the room to get setup so they stuck me off in a corner where I could surf and check emails until the room freed up.

While I was killing time I thought I’d hit the restroom so I didn’t have to go later on. I asked where the restrooms were and proceeded to make my way through the maze of cubicles walls and locked doors until I reached the restroom. The whole time I am trying to remember 5689, which is the code to get back into the secured area. I go into the restroom and I think this is a fairly large restroom. I find a stall and proceeded to do my business.

Now I am sitting on the john and repeating to myself “5689, 5689…” And then I hear the door to the restroom open an a bunch of ladies conversing amongst themselves and laughing with a quick “…catch up with you later” at which point the conversation ceases and the door shuts.

Now, I realize at this point that I didn’t get my daily caffeine down my throat because the fucking hotel only had coffee and there wasn’t a gas station between my and the client’s site. That means I am not exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment. Did I read the marquee on the door correctly? Did it say “men” or “women”?

As I am sitting there I forget all about 5689 and starting back-tracking in my mind to walking into the restroom. Did I see any urinals? I can’t remember, but I was thinking that I had not seen any when I came in.

OMG! Am I in the wrong restroom??!!!!!???!!!??? To be honest, I wasn’t really sure. I start trying to think of some logical way to get out of this because I am done at this point and I am eventually going to have to leave. Aside from that, my shoes are definitely men’s shoes and I think that would be fairly noticeable.

I start trying to peek through the gaps in the stall walls but I can’t see anything but sinks and mirrors showing more stalls – no urinals.

Finally I say to myself “fuck it. I’ve been in plenty of men’s bathrooms when the ladies came in and used ‘em. Besides it was an honest mistake.” I then proceeded to leave the stall and the first thing I see is a guy washing his hands at the sink….whew….

BTW – I had forgotten the code and had to wait until someone else entered the secure area so I could follow ‘em in.

No comments: