Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Scary Gun Owners

Some people shouldn't own guns. This is as natural to me as some people not getting on a motorcycle or people that get perms and have no business doing so.

I don't mean that they shouldn't legally be allowed to own them. I fully respect their right to do so. I just think that they should seriously consider if gun ownership is right for them.

A while back I had posted about the chicks at the gun range that were really scary and gave us reason to get the hell out of there. Today, I was at the range to start working on my sights for my M4. I had just picked up a new rear A3 type sight and was wanting to get it roughly sighted in. The range only had two rifle lanes of 75-feet. Good for a quickie and "getting on paper" as Bling! likes to say.

There were more people there than I expected and I had to wait a bit before a lane opened up. While I was waiting I was watching through the glass onto the first few lanes. There was a guy there that was popping off a few rounds with a pistol of some type. His target was no more than 15 feet out from him. It was probably an 8" or 10" target. The guy couldn't hit it. He hit paper every now and then but I watched him shoot six rounds into the paper below the target.

Three black guys filed off the other rifle lane which opened it up for me. I went in and started setting up. There was another guy who had also just got there and was trying to sight in a new scope. We chatted a bit and I noticed that the black guys had left a silhouette target about 1/2-way down range (keep in mind that was maybe 40 feet). I hit the switch to bring the target back. Silhouette targets are the size of huge mofos - like 6'2+ but there was only ONE hole in the entire target and it was almost off the paper. Seriously. These guys had been shooting a rifle 40-feet at a target that was at least 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall and couldn't hit it.

I just don't even see how that's possible if you made any effort at all. Forget sights. You could point the barrel in the general direction and at least hit it...at least get on paper. But these guys couldn't do it.

When I see stuff like that I just want to calmly walk up to them and explain that they shouldn't own a gun. So please put the gun down, and walk away. Sell it on Craig's List and be thankful that you won't hurt anyone.

No comments: