Wednesday, November 05, 2008

An Historic Election – Our First Black President Elect

I stayed up a tad late last night and watched the election as the votes started coming in. Prior to the west coast votes coming in it was a good example of how the electoral votes count differently than the popular vote. I say this because McCain and Obama were pretty much dead even in the popular vote, but Obama had the electoral votes by a fairly wide margin.

By the time the west coast votes started coming in it was over. Obama decimated McCain. McCain called Obama to concede and then gave a pretty good speech congratulating and supporting Obama. The one thing I didn’t like about his speech was the crowd that was there. I thought it was in poor taste to boo Obama any time McCain gave him credit where credit was due.


A while later Obama gave his victory speech. It was a pretty good speech. Of course, he avoided issues and mostly made an effort to encourage Americans and let us know that he would try to do a good job, but it would be difficult.

My friend sent me a text message and asked if I was pleased with the outcome of the election. I replied that I was not, but now that it is over we must move forward and try to make it work.

And that’s really the issue, now, isn’t it? Making things work. I guess time will tell, but the bottom line is that Obama is about to be our 44th president and we should all make an effort to support him and make this work for the good of the people of the United States.

No comments: