Tuesday, September 18, 2007

New Floors!

Over the last week I was juggling putting in new floors and getting work done all at the same time, but finally it’s all about to come together.
My friend, Droid, is up from Alabama and looking for work. He does carpentry and trim work and so it was an excellent opportunity for me to have some help putting the floors in and giving him a place to stay and putting a few bucks in his pocket.

Needless to say, he did an excellent job on all the detailed work with measurements and trim. I couldn’t have done a job like that, and it’s looking great!

Trimming things throughout the hallways took a long time, but the main body of the floor went pretty quick.
The floor is a true tongue-and-groove hardwood maple. It’s glued down to the slab with some pretty heavy-duty polyurethane glue that pretty much makes you high just looking at the bucket.

Stripping the carpet and padding out took a few hours. But we took about a week getting the flooring in with the majority of the time spent on those tedious trim pieces.

The transitions from the hardwood to the carpet is in, but I’m waiting on a piece of wood to go from the hardwood to the tile due to the height difference. I could have gotten a 6-foot piece of transition, but I needed 10 ½ for my front entry way. Not only that, but all the shops had the cheap laminate crap. The ones I have in, now, and the stuff on order, is a solid piece of maple. It just has to be cut and lacquered before installation.

So that’s about it….but like many projects, it escalated. Because the floor has a gap we had to get some shoe-molding and install it. Bling let me borrow is air nailer and that made quick work of that particular part of the project (Thanks Bling!). That also meant caulking and painting the baseboards. That was OK, because the ones in the kitchen needed it from the tile job.

This little guy ended up getting stuck to the wet paint. I could just imagine him thinking “what the fuck do I do now?” I thought he was dead and would come apart when I peeled him off the paint but he started twitching so I took him outside and let him go. I never saw him again, so I don’t know if he made it but there is a nice gecko imprint on my closet baseboards, now. No point in re-painting it. It just adds charm.

Done!

Now the problem is that I had to get rid of my old Oak stereo cabinet and replace it. So I have new one of those on order….and as long as I was doing that, how about a new CD rack to hold all of my CD’s and the DVD’s that used to be in the old cabinet? Maybe I’ll have it all wrapped up next week. I hope so!

I’ll post one or two more pics once I get everything put back together. For now, though, I am just really excited that the house is coming together this year. I have some new furniture, new tile floor in the kitchen, new hardwoods in the common areas, and my brother in law was installing sun-screens as I left to get on my flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10 reasons why a nail gun is better than a woman....

10. It only goes off if you pull the trigger.
9. If it does go off, you know it was your fault 'cuz you pulled the trigger
8. You can have many types of nail gun for different nails
7. A nail gun occasionally runs out of air and is quiet while it recharges.
6. Getting bigger airtanks doesn't cause self-esteem issues.
5. You can nail with it all day, and it only asks for a little lubricant
4. You don't have to say "I love you", although you might want to.
3. It will nail anywhere: at the mall, in a parking lot, at the park...
2. It's not a big deal if your buddy wants to use your nail gun.
1. You can always get more nails.