Friday, June 29, 2007

RingBack Tones

Here is a little something that I really can't stand. The idea is not half-bad. Enable your mobile phone to play music, rather than the traditional ring, to the person that is trying to call you.

The problem is that the execution is horrible. Telephones, and in particular cell phones, were never made to carry or reproduce the frequencies necessary to play music. So what you get when someone uses ringback tones is a garbled, mutilated, sound that you might be able to recognize as music.

It's horrible and extremely agitating. Me being the selfish bastard that I am, have taken to telling my friends that use them that unless I really need to get in touch with them that they can expect me to not be calling as often. Or they'll get a text asking them to give me a call - I don't have any ringback tones programmed.

Though few things might be worse, calling a friend up to have a nice conversation and getting a bunch of staticy, garbled, crap over the phone is pretty bad.

No comments: