Wednesday, June 20, 2007

OK! Stitch me up!


Do you remember when you were a kid? Did they have Big Wheels and Green Machines back then? I asked one person if they remembered them and they said “no.” How can you say “no?” I asked if they lived under a rock as a child and was quickly reprimanded.

I was at the toy store today to pick out a birthday present for my niece and took my time browsing the toys. The toys are getting better and better, but sometimes the simple toys are still the best.

My niece wants a pair of “heelies.” These are shoes that have wheels in the heel that you can skate on if you lift your toes up off the ground. You’ve probably seen little kids wheeling around on them at the grocery store and stuff.

My mom, the ever, constant, motherly, worry-wart is scared my niece is going to hurt herself and end up in the hospital. “You heard what they said! Kids are pouring into the hospitals from these things!”

Yeah, well they are also pouring in from bicycles, skateboards, swing-sets, cheerleading activities and all sorts of other things. In other words, they are kids and they are going to get hurt. I had my fair share of going to the hospital when I was kid. I got stitched up a lot. I had stitches in my head about 7 times by the time I was 10…..and I’m not accident prone, I just had a lot of fun and sometimes got hurt doing it.

Ever try to jump your bicycle off a home-made ramp that was a ½ of a 4 x 8 and bricks? It takes a couple of times before you realize that as the ramp gets higher, you have to use more bricks to keep the thing from exploding on impact and sending you, your bike, the board, and the bricks all flying in different directions.

My dad says I would go to the ER (and by this point they just about knew us by name), hop up on a gurney and say “ok, stitch me up!”

But I digress….the point is that I was in Toys R Us to get my niece a gift and I saw the new Green Machine that also has a water tank strapped onto it and a trigger right on the handgrip with a squirt gun on the top of the handlebars. You could ride your Green Machine around and squirt the crap out of people. How cool is that

I need one of these for the ‘Priller! (my motorcycle)

No comments: