Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Quick JP Update.....

I finally got a chance to talk to the man himself. Most of what I had on here before is accurate. He was doing high-altitude jumps and had left the plane OK. Popped his chute and setup for the landing when he passed out. He came conscious right before impact and so he flared a little bit (put on the brakes) but was also ligned up with an irrigation pump.

He shattered his hips, but broke no other bones. He had some use of his legs when he left one hospital, but later became paralyzed from the waist down. They do not know why he is paralyzed. He told me he barely moved a toe or part of his foot last night, but that it was practically imperceptible. He was also in a coma for over a month.

In speaking with him on the phone I got the impression that he was staying positive. he's looking forward to potentially walking again. He also said he would be getting back in the swing of things as he goes through rehab. He may never walk again, but it didn't sound like that was going to keep him from hitting the slopes, biking, and doing the other things he loves to do.

I did notice, though, that he didn't quite sound like JP. A little bit of slurred speech and he didn't quite have his sense of humor. Like he was slightly different. My guess is that it was either from the coma and some minor brain damage, or that he was on some meds. He did tell me he felt tired today, but that could be because he had recently went out to the movies and gotten a bite to eat the day before.

I hope he does well. He is coming back to Bozeman, but it may be a while. Good luck to you, JP. If you want to get in touch with him, let me know and I'll get you some contact information. I don't want to post it here.

No comments: