Friday, February 03, 2012

I Hear Voices

I was driving into work the other morning. I was in WY on the highway into the plant. It was still dark out and about 19 degrees (F). I had a decent rental car and like most newer rental cars it had XM radio. I have to admit, I love it. I won’t buy it for myself because I absolutely refuse to pay another $20 / month to some other subscription service. Besides, I’m hardly ever home, which means I wouldn’t get to use it much, and I don’t want to have to drag another electronic doohickey around with me.

But I was jamming away and right before I changed stations to something else a new song came on that made me stay with the current station. No, it wasn’t a *great* song, but I really dig the vocalist for the group.

It was Tom Keifer from Cinderella. ok ok ok …I know. Hair Band or “chicks with dicks.” Whatever. Something in that immature part of my brain that has refused to grow up still likes them. More importantly, I like Tom Keifer’s voice.

No. He’s not a great vocalist. He doesn’t have a huge range, isn’t spectacular, and doesn’t do anything really that exciting. It’s just his raw gravelly voice that I like. There are a handful of guys that I’d put in the same category. Something about the voice that sounds like they’ve been drinking Jack Daniels and smoking Camel unfiltered cigarettes since they were three. It’s a category that Rod Stewart could probably be put in if he actually grew a pair and sang some good old fashioned rock and roll!

Tom Keifer – Cinderella
Brian Johnson – AC/DC
Blackie Lawless – WASP

No comments: