Friday, January 20, 2012

Are You Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Photobucket
Earlier this year some friends and I were driving through the canyon on MT 191 to head up to Big Sky. My g/f was sacked out in the front seat as we had to get up super early to make our flights and we’d already been traveling all day.

While winding through the canyon I made a comment about if something ever happened and things went south really fast Montana is one of the places I’d probably head to. This led one of my friends and I into a conversation about shooting and hunting. I was surprised to learn that he knew how to hunt and skin a deer – I just didn’t picture him as someone that would have ever done that.

I figured MT is a good place to go because there aren’t that many people, you can hide out in the woods, there is plenty to hunt, and while it’s cold this can actually be an advantage. Think about it. Have you ever seen a zombie movie in a really cold place? I think it’s because zombies don’t like cold weather. Besides, with the reduced population in MT you wouldn’t have to take as many of them out as you would in some heavily populated area, like L.A.

Naturally you need to have some weapons. This is a picture of one of my friend’s weapons cache (or as he says a picture of part of his weapons cache):
Photobucket

Note the two shotguns – everyone knows these are good for killing zombies, but there is also a carbine, a sniper rifle, and various other knives, swords, etc. All good for hunting and killing your food, zombies, or disillusioned people.

I’m covered on shotguns, rifles, and pistols, but I apparently lack a plethora of swords and knives. I always figure that they shouldn’t ever get that close anyway.

But another friend of mine had a different strategy. His strategy is to hijack a semi full of Hostes Twinkies and live off of that for the rest of his life. I asked him how he would defend his Twinkies and while I was never sure, it seemed that he was either going to hide them, or use a gun. I’m not sure this is the greatest strategy for survival, but it’s interesting. I later found out that the shelf life of a Twinkie is really only a few days (25 seems to be max) and that this wouldn’t work at all.

No comments: