Monday, February 13, 2012

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Photobucket
I’m not a hoarder, but I do tend to hang onto things that I like or think that I might need in the future. I’ve had a 1991 Ibanez RG560 that I purchased brand new. Over the years I played the heck out of this guitar and it was with me for many gigs and jams. But, tonight I sold it.

In some ways, I was a little sad to see it go. It was a part of my life for a long time, but ultimately it’s “just a guitar” and the guitar serves as a reminder to the sentiment, it’s not the sentiment itself.

Since I bought my JP6 last year I had pretty not touched my Ibanez since. Even before that I tended to play my Les Paul more often for a bunch of different reasons. When I bought my JP6 I intentionally bought it as a bit of a replacement to the Ibanez. I also realized that I was up to seven guitars – two of which never get played. It was time to consolidate and get rid of one or two.

I put an ad up and got a hit on it right away. I put some new strings on it, adjusted the tremolo one last time since the springs were old, gave it a good polish and played it one last time for good measure. I met the guy in a parking lot and he was a bit older like me. He said he one just like it. It had been his first guitar, but that it was stolen out of his truck years ago. He’d been looking for another one for thirteen years!! He was very happy that it was in such good shape and that it had the case.

In the end, I felt really good that it was going to a good home and someone that would appreciate it.

No comments: