Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pre-Christmas

Last week I was in WY visiting one of my clients. You might recall reading or hearing something about snowstorms hitting the area. I was in it. No biggie, I’ve done it before. With the exception of the North Western portion of WY, it’s not the prettiest place around.

Let me briefly set the scene. It’s snowing, and has been snowing for a day or so. The Interstate is covered in ice and snow. It’s about 6:15am – I had to leave early since I can only drive a mind-numbingly 40mph down the interstate to get to work. It’s dark, and I’m roughly in the middle of no-where listening to “Boogie Woogie Santa” on a country station since it’s the only one I can get in. And suddenly I thought “What the fuck are you doing?”

Not as in I was doing something wrong that very moment, but how I had all the events of my life suddenly led me to be in that particular place at that particular time listening to “Boogie Woogie Santa” while driving 40mph in a snow storm that early in the morning.

I found it a bit surreal and thought about all the “normal” people that were probably getting up and not dealing with driving in a freaking snow storm to get to work on that particular day. I thought about how I wouldn’t normally be doing that. How I could have done a billion other things or at least had also been getting ready to go to work in Texas (no snow) for my normal 9 to 5 grind.

But that’s my life. Odd places, odd times, in odd predicaments, to do a fairly normal job. I’m not sure there are too many things I’d rather be doing….

No comments: