Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crunch Time!

Last night I was involved in a motor vehicle “accident.” There is a dangerous intersection by my house that always has wrecks in or near it. The police told me that they clear a MVH about 4 times a week from there. Mostly people are just impatient and do stupid things. I’m always very cautious when going through that intersection.

crunch time - my truck

Last night at about 5:45pm I was approaching the intersection. I was heading north-bound and a car coming from the opposite direction took a left-hand turn right in front of me. Fortunately, I saw this guy and was all over the brakes. I was able to slow down enough that he escaped without damage. However, what really stunned me was the second car that did the exact same thing. I couldn’t avoid this one and ended up hitting her t-bone style.

When I hit her I immediately looked up at the light and saw it change from green to yellow. As long as the light wasn’t malfunctioning I should have had the right of way. As it turns out, the third car in line to take a left was a police officer. He witnessed the entire event and told me that he couldn’t believe the first guy and was totally shocked at the second car (the one I hit). He also told me that he witnessed the whole thing, you don’t get a better witness than a cop, and not to worry about anything.

My truck was drivable, but I can tell there is some major damage to it. I’m concerned that the crumple zones in the frame are shot. The other car didn’t fare so well and had to be towed off. Fortunately everyone had insurance and nobody was hurt. I’m a little bummed out, though. I won’t say my truck didn’t have a scratch, but for being 10 years old it was in pristine condition. Only has 59,000 miles on it. Used trucks in good shape are worth something. Used trucks that have been wrecked aren’t. We’ll see what happens with the insurance companies.



crunch time

No comments: