Saturday, February 12, 2011

Droid X Phone?

I’ve had a Droid X for a few months now, and so far I really love it. One thing I had some trouble adjusting to was the size of the phone. You don’t really notice in when you are talking on the phone, but you certainly notice it when sticking it in your pocket. The ladies out there that carry a purse probably won’t notice it too much and it’ll be easy to find when digging around in there.

I probably don’t do that much with my phone compared to other people. It’s not linked into a social network like Facebook or some other crap so you know when I’m using the restroom. But what little bit I’ve played with I have really enjoyed. The browser works well enough, albeit somewhat slowly sometimes. I probably use the Angry Birds game and Online Poker apps more than anything. The GPS is pretty good, but not as robust as my Garmin – I understand Garmin may put an app out for the phone which I’d be interested in because that would be one less device to carry around.

Mostly, I use it as a phone and for that it works great. It smokes my old Razr into the ground when it comes to reception. I’ve been pretty impressed with it from that perspective. About the only complaint I have for the phone is that on my old Razr I could feel the buttons and perform functions without having to put my eyes on the phone. Let’s say I wanted to make a call to Bling!. I could flip the phone open, and press the contacts button, and then press 2 a couple of times until I knew it was in the B’s. Then I could briefly look at the phone and scroll to the location by hitting the scroll buttons (this also becomes habitual and you don’t have to look once you do it a few times). One last quick glance to ensure that I have Bling!’s number up and hit the dial button. Through the whole process I barely looked at my phone.

Well, with the new one you can’t do that because you can’t feel any of the buttons. They are just graphic images on the screen. I find it not only slower to look someone up and make a call, but far more dangerous if I am driving or anything that requires my attention.

I’ve tried using the voice command and saying things like “Call Bling!” or “Call *name*” and it always jacks it up and doesn’t even get close causing me more frustration. What I don’t understand is that if you use speech-to-text to enter a text message it nails it 90+% of the time. Same for google search…but ask it to call someone and you can forget it.

But that’s about it. Otherwise a pretty sweet phone.

No comments: