Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lazy Charities

A day or two ago I was talking to Hopper about a birthday party one of his kids attended. Apparently the parents of the birthday boy / girl sent out the invites with the note that the child was registered at a store (Toys R Us?) and could people please make sure they don’t buy and give the same toys.

Are you kidding me? Since when did kids start registering for their toys? The point of a bDay party is to celebrate that particular day with your friends and have some fun. Yes, it’s nice to get some really cool toys but it seems awfully presumptuous to expect people to go down to the toy store and look up the registry information.

I think I would be offended to get such an invitation.

Today, a friend of mine emailed me about a fund-raiser their child is doing for school. Their child is very young and the fundraiser is online. One of the selling points – it’s all online so there is no cash exchanged, the items you buy come directly to you, and the child doesn’t have to get out and canvass.

WTF? What the hell kind of lesson does that teach our children? That isn’t being entrepreneurial and assertive. That’s being lazy, pure and simple. Why not just ask me for money? I’d appreciate that more than trying to disguise it behind a rouse of the child trying to raise money for school.

Fundraiser are supposed to be about hard work, creativity, and social networking. This type of fundraising doesn’t encompass any of those things.

I fear for the future of our children.

PS – I just received another one of these things from another friend. This time it was to go and order pizza’s, but plug in the kids ID code to get the discount and credit the kid’s program.

No comments: