Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Killer Remote!!


This last weekend I finally broke down and bought a new remote control. I know, I know…big deal, right? But I’ve never been very happy with any of my remotes that have come with my stereo / TV components. Even the ones that do some of the other functions on the other remotes only do just that…..some of the functions.

Plus, anyone else trying to watch my TV or a DVD was completely lost. You had to change the TV to the correct inputs, then you had to set the receiver to DVD, and then there was the DVD player itself.

For a while I was checking out remote controls and trying to find a really good universal remote that could replace all my remotes and have macro functionality. I didn’t want to get into a $1000 remote (yes, they have $1000 remote controls) and as I looked around Harmony seemed to be the one that consistently got good reviews. Sure, some people didn’t like them or they didn’t do some odd thing just right but overall most people were happy with them.

Since I had a spare $200 from my piggy bank I went ahead and used that money to pick up a Harmony One remote.


It has a docking station that recharges the batteries. This is good for two reasons. First off, you don’t have to replace the batteries all the time. Secondly, you almost always know where it is if it’s back on the docking station.

But the best part? I spent about 30 minutes setting it up and it worked like a champ to control all of my stuff (including my iPod dock) the first time!!! Setting it up was really pretty simple. You install the software, create an account, and then plug-in all of the devices that it will control. The database at Logitech has all the devices in it and then it programs the remote via a USB port. Real slick.

The remote supports things activities such as “watch DVD” – turn on the TV, set the inputs, turn on the AV receiver and set it to DVD, and then turn on the DVD player and start playing the disc (if one is in there) – all with the touch of ONE button. Not two, not three, not switch devices and change things. One button. *click*

You want to turn everything off? One button.

You want to switch from watching DVD to satellite TV? One button
Switch from satellite tv to HDTV tuner? One button.
Listen to the iPod? One button.
Make scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon? Well, better get your honey to do that one for you and perhaps she only has one button you have to push.

Oh! I almost forgot…. It’s touch-screen. Really really cool. I’m still learning where all the buttons and stuff are and the one I have the most problem with is the volume and the channel as they are on the opposite sides of the remote from my old one. I keep hitting the wrong one, but since the remote has a motion sensor and it lights up when you pick it up it’s easy to look down real quick and hit the right buttons.

Is it pricey? Yes. But it freaking ROCKS!!! It has serious bling! and cool factor. It replaced seven remote controls and it did it all without batting an eye.

Give me a month and I can tell you all the crap wrong with it, but right now I am very impressed!

No comments: