Thursday, September 18, 2008

AT&T And Binding Arbitration


I’ve been trying to keep track of arbitration information. In some ways, it appears as if consumers are slowly turning the tide on big corporations forcing them into arbitration. Recently there have been several cases in where the courts told the big companies to take their binding arbitration and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine and that they would be going to court.

I’ve seen other cases where the courts indicated that they violated the law and they couldn’t hind behind the guise of arbitration.

And then behold what I get from AT&T (I have DSL)….

For all Members:
Arbitration Agreement. We have added language that requires customer disputes with AT&T regarding AT&T Internet Services to be submitted to binding arbitration or small claims court. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court and often faster. In addition, AT&T will pay for all costs of arbitration, no matter who wins, as long as your claim is not frivolous.


First off, here is the big bully company forcing people into arbitration. Did you notice that they’ll pay for it? Of course they will! They want to control the entire process just like all the companies! This is their way of ensuring that you get fucked. I also like the part about AT&T paying for all costs of arbitration no matter who wins, as long as your claim is not frivolous. Who do you think gets to decide if your claim is frivolous? Probably the arbitrator….who is already being paid by AT&T. Yeah, that seems fair to me.

I am generally opposed to the government sticking their nose in private business. I’ve said that over and over and over again. Yet, I fear that we may have another instance where capitalism has broke down. The companies are too greedy and the general consumer too ignorant to know any better. It has gotten to the point where you don’t get a choice anymore and that’s bad for consumer. This will be an instance where I favor some type of government intervention. I don’t think that it has to be made illegal, but it should be made optional.

No comments: