Monday, April 07, 2008

Jake Walks Among Us – Pt. 2

I’m into my second day with Jake. Last night was off to a rough start as Jake wanted to play while I was trying to cook dinner. So I gave him his dinner first, and then worked on mine. That seemed to work out a bit better.

Of course, I had to take him out a few times, too. Then I tried to kick back and watch a DVD but Jake would have none of that….at least not at first. It took me a while to get him settled down and then he wouldn’t leave my side while he slept. I even took a nice hot soak in the tub and he came in to lay next to the tub….then next to the bed.

And then I was woken up in typical dog-style-fashion with him being bright eyed and bushy tailed at 6:00am. He came in and barked once at me and then put his big paws up on the bed. He didn’t try to get in bed, just wanted to make sure I knew he was awake….which meant taking him immediately outside to pee and poo. Then it was breakfast time.

I took him for a jog to get me some breakfast. Jake is testing me, I can tell. I’ve had him on three walks now and every time he doesn’t mind me nearly as well as Bling! and Mrs. Bling! He’s still good, but not as good. He has a much harder time “heeling” with me than with them.

So I kept him outside and played with him a bit before doing some yard work. Jake does not like new things and new noises. The lawnmower terrified him and I hadn’t even started it, yet. I tied him up with a long piece of rope so he could sit outside in the grass or under the truck. When I was mowing or weed eating, it was under the truck. Take a break and he’d chill on the grass.

We’re still feeling each other out a bit, but I’m onto his game. Wear his ass out and then he sleeps for a while….

No comments: