Sunday, March 09, 2008

Another Slow Weekend....

I say it over and over again, but it's always interesting to me how many things I think of to write on here and then I either can't find the time or I forget them when I do find the time.

For two weekends in a row, now, I've not done a whole heck of a lot from a social perspective. For some reason, my friends in TX are always either too tied up or simply don't want to do anything. Take your pick. But it amounts to me generally spending a lot of time alone on the 'Priller or doing other things.

I've managed to get a few things, done, though and that is a good thing. Among them have been two weekend of pre-spring yard work. I've cut back all my dead vines, shaved the dead grass down, fertilized it, etc. I've also gotten some work done on the 'Priller, continued to collect my income tax information, re-worked some minor things around the house, etc.

Yesterday I spent the morning with Young Blood tearing down his motorcycle engine. He has a transmission problem so we yanked it out of the bike and started tearing it down so that we could split the cases on it and get to the internals. After you get it out of the bike, it is surprisingly not that difficult to tear it all down. Putting it back together may be a different story, though.

I've also been prepping to go out of town on Monday. It was short notice, and since my mom's birthday is on Wed., that meant that I had to hustle to get her a gift before I leave out of town. Not a big deal, but I was running my errands today and then stopped off at Boston Market for some lunch.

The church crowd had just let out and while it wasn't quite packed it was definitely busy. I am sitting there scarfing down on my chicken and the table across from me is a single mom with two girls. They got into some kind of "jinx you owe me a coke" spat and I guess one of the little girls won. The other got very upset. The mom says "why does everything have to be about winning and losing?" uh-oh. One of those. You know why? Because a lot of life is made up of wining and losing. Obviously there are sports in which you have a score and a clear winner and loser. But there are other things in life, too. Did you get that promotion? Did someone else beat you out to get it? If so, you lost. Sorry, that's the breaks. I don't believe in coddling children into unrealistic expectations of fairness.

Then I came home and spread fertilizer and spent some time outside just hanging out in the yard. I am going to have a beer and then get cleaned up to meet my parents for dinner.

It's funny how our perspective of things can change rapidly. I recently have had some thinking to do due to a curve ball life may be throwing at me. I say may because I am not sure of exactly how things are going to play out, and ultimately I'll have to deal with them. I guess that is not any different than any other situation, but the ramifications could be substantial in this case.

No comments: