Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Driver's License Renewal

I went down to the Texas DMV to get my driver's license renewed. It expires in March, but I was in the area and wanted to get it out of the way.

It now costs $32.00 to get it done. No credit cards, cash and check only, thank you very much. It wasn't very crowded but there was a small line at the information booth which you had to go through first. I was amazed that pretty much everyone in line in front of me was there to get something done that they either didn't qualify for, or didn't have their paperwork.

I told the lady that I needed to renew my license, she handed me a form, it took me all of two minutes to fill it out and then proceeded to the line. I was the only person in line, though all the people were busy with other customers. I had to wait a few minutes, but it wasn't bad.

I stepped up, told the lady I needed to renew my license. She was pleasant, we talked a bit, I showed her my social security card. Had my thumb-prints taken (new to me, but apparently it's been done for a while, now), took a picture, got my temporary card and walked out. I was there maybe 15 ~ 20 minutes and most of that was waiting in the first line.

I found it odd that when I stepped up to get everything done that they really didn't check much. I had filled in my TX DL# on the form, but I could have lied. I had a social security card. A social security card does not count as a legal form of ID. If you have ever seen the old ones, they are a joke. You can print them right on your printer there at home. They contain no watermarks, no holograms, no pictures, etc. I'm not sure what good it does having someone show them a SS card. It seems to me a US Passport would be better, but that's not valid for getting the renewal. She never asked for an ID. She didn't ask to see my old license, or anything. She also didn't appear to do any kind of a background check to see if I had a suspended license, warrants for arrest, etc.

My guess is that because I am white, clean shaven (though I sport a goatee), and polite, as opposed to the black "gangsta" that had to take off a ton of shit, that it had a lot to do with it. I found the thumb prints kind of odd, but wasn't that put off by it. I was also able to get my corrective vision restriction removed. I'm not sure cops check that, much, anyway.

All in all, I'd say it was a very pleasent experience and I was surprised that it was so easy. Congrats to the Texas DMV.

BTW - I have not heard anything about my speeding ticket. I don't know if that is good or bad. My guess I am going to get some huge fine in the mail and have to do probation for a few months. We'll see.......

No comments: