Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Arlington Smoking Ban is In Effect!!

The city of Arlington, TX (where I live) passed a new law last year that prohibits smoking within 50 feet of a doorway in almost all "public" establishments. The reason I say "public" with quotes is because these are really private enterprise establishments that are open to the public as opposed to a city library.

I'm a non-smoker. Sometimes I don't even like to go out because of the smoke I have to put up with in going places. To a large degree this is great news for me and a lot of other non-smokers.

But what are the consequences? Think about what we have allowed to happen. We have said that the government possesses the right to tell a private enterprise what they can and cannot do. What has happened to the rights of the business owner? Note: I am not advocating the right of the smoker, here. I do not think smokers have the "right" to dirty the air that I breather anymore than I have the right to tell them not to smoke. But, I do think a business owner should have the right to do business in a manner that he or she sees fit provided that it is not a determinant to the health and safety of the general public.

Now that could be taken a lot of ways. But examples that I would throw out are factories that spew forth toxins into the rivers, streams, or air. I, as Joe-public, wouldn't have a choice when I drink the water that has the four legged, glowing, froggie swimming in it. On the other hand, Joe public should be able to go into a bar, throw back a coldie and smoke his freaking lungs out.

At what point do we say "stop?" I have been in many an argument with fellow bikers about being thrown out of establishments because we ride bikes or are wearing biker apparel. They argue that the business should be forced to serve us. I disagree. I say the business owner gets to make that choice. We have a choice as patrons to not go back....ever. But if they get their way then we are further reducing the rights of the business owner.

How would you like to be a business owner and told you HAVE to do business with certain people? Maybe it's a nice restaurant and a guy walks in with flip-flops and a thong on. That's it. Not very pleasant, but not in violation of a health code. Sorry, you have to serve him. If your other customers walk because of it, tough.

There are already all kinds of restrictive laws on businesses. I was surprised to learn that in some areas a business owner is NOT allowed to sell a product at a loss. What? Let me get this straight. I buy the product, and decide to sell it at a loss - it's MY money, but I can't do it. It's against the law.

And here we are back to the smoking ban. Fortunately this does not apply to standalone bars, sexually oriented businesses, pool halls, etc. But what about all the restaurants that spent thousands of dollars to accommodate the split-smoking-ban that happened years ago? This was a "compromise" ban than forced restaurants to have separate ventilation systems for smokers and non-smokers. It was a fairly expensive endeavour, but they did it to keep the business. Now that money is down the drain.

If we continue to allow the govt. to tell us what we can and cannot do in the privacy of our own business, it won't be long until they are telling us what we can and cannot do in the privacy of our own automobile or home. It's already happening. Be careful what you ask for....

No comments: