Sunday, July 04, 2010

Stuck in NYC?

I’ve now been in NYC for about a month and a half. My only venture outside the city was to Las Vegas for a couple of days to attend Grashopper’s wedding. I’ve had a lot of people ask me “why don’t you go home for the weekend?”

Well, quite simply it’s almost more stressful to do that than to just stay here. If I have to work Friday, that means I don’t get to fly home until late Friday night or early Sat. morning. I then have to return back to NYC by Sunday so I can be working on Monday morning. That means I basically get ONE day (Sat) at home for all of the hassle of traveling back and forth. Is that really worth it?

My g/f was having a conversation with a friend and associate of hers that lives here in Manhattan. She mentioned how I was still stuck in NYC and her friend exclaimed “Stuck in NYC?” as in she lives here and this is her home and it’s so great how could anyone feel like they are stuck here?

I’ll tell you how. I realize that some of you (about 8 million) live here and call NYC home. Please try to understand that while it may be great for you, that it is not great for me. I’m not a “big city” person. I never have been. Sure, I like to visit but that’s about it. For me:

• There are too many people. WAY too many people. And going to events where people are on top of each other is just not enjoyable. I don’t care if it’s a bar, a museum, or a block party. I don’t like having people on top of me.

• It’s too noisy – yes, the city that never sleeps. And along with that comes constant noise. You are always attacked by nose. Large trucks and buses driving by on the street, sirens all day and night long, people talking on phones, people talking to themselves, chicks (and guys!) saying the word “like” every 6.3 seconds, horns honking all day and night long (I feel like setting up a .50 cal on the windowsill and picking them off), you get the idea.

• There isn’t any grass or trees. Ok – yeah, there are a few trees embedded into the concrete, and you might find a patch of grass here and there but for the most part it’s concrete for as far as the eye can see. Every time I try going to Central Park there are too many people and too much noise (see above).

• I don’t have my truck here so I can’t easily get out of the city and if I did I wouldn’t want to drive here (people are freaking nuts!)

• I don’t have my bike (motorcycle) here.

• I don’t have my guitar(s) here.

• I don’t have my friends or family here.

• I have a shitty internet connection at the hotel.

• I don’t have my kitchen and my things to enjoy cooking a nice meal.

• There isn’t any place to go hiking or just chill outdoors.

• Everything costs a fortune (Manhattan is expensive!)

• Everyone is rude – I don’t care what the reason is, but people here are rude for the most part.

Call it the New York Attitude, I call it being a jerk – and nobody trust anyone.

No comments: