Sunday, July 04, 2010

Once in Lifetime Fireworks?

Most years, Macy’s has their fireworks on the East side of Manhattan. I’m about 2 blocks from the e. side. However, this year they are having them on the West side of Manhattan – about 2 miles away. That’s not that far and I’ve walked over in the general area several times already.

I’m a bit on the fence about going tonight. I’d really like to see the fireworks as it’s supposed to be pretty incredible. On the otherhand, I have absolutely ZERO desire to be stuck in the throng of the other 2 to 3 million people that will also be crowding the public areas. The papers all say to show up four to five HOURS early to get a good spot. Fuck that. I mean, hey, it’s just fireworks!

Years ago, we would take the boat out on the lake on the 4th. A few of the people that lived on the lake were filthy rich and would bring in semi-trailers of fireworks with professionals to set them. I’m not kidding and I’m not exaggerating. These people would then try to out-do each other, but they never launched them all at the same time. Rich person-A would do theirs, then rich person-B would do theirs and so on. We’d float on the water for hours watching some pretty incredible shows from right underneath the fireworks. Sometimes you could feel the ash lightly raining down on you. So for me, the fireworks would have to be pretty freaking incredible to beat that experience and being stuck in a crowd of people in my current state of mind is not it.

I looked into some rooftop parties or a boat cruise or something. Rooftop parties start at about $90 and the pictures show people stuck on top of each other…. The boat cruises are mostly sold out, but they also started at about $100 and went up from there. One cruise is $270, not including taxes, fuel surcharges, boarding fees, etc. I figure that’s about $300 and while it includes a buffet it does not include your beverages – and then you are stuck on the boat for five hours. Might be different if I had a friend to hang out with. In any case, I don’t feel like spending a bunch of money to be stuck in a throng of people watching fireworks – I’d spend the money to NOT be stuck with a bunch of people and see some good fireworks.

And let’s face it, if I ever decide I really have to see the NYC fireworks I can simply come back. So I don’t see it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. I see it as a big pain in the ass. I’ve had a few people ask me if I can watch them from the hotel rooftop. I don’t think there is any roof access – I already tried to go all the way up and the elevator doors wouldn’t open. Even if they did have access tonight the w. river is about 2 miles away and it’s NYC – there are a ton of skyscrapers in the way and you wouldn’t be able to see anything anyway. I’ll probably just head that way this evening and when the crowds start to get thick I’ll stop and chill. If I can’t see anything, I’ll head back.

No comments: