Monday, July 05, 2010

Happy 4th Of July!

Last night, I sucked it up and went down to check out the Macy’s 4th Of July Fireworks Extravaganza!! (just kidding, that isn’t the official title of the show). It was pretty warm, but I managed to make it to 12th Avenue and 25th where I could catch a breeze off the river.

I got there at about 5-til-9:00 and the people just kept coming and packing it in. Before I knew it, I was deep in a crowd of people I didn’t want to be in, but I had a breeze so I felt fairly lucky. The fireworks kicked off at about 9:20 and lasted until about 9:45. It was quite an impressive show and I just happened to have a view that put all of the fireworks in my entire field of vision (including my perhiphial). I have seen a few internet videos where people clearly didn’t have as good of a view. I think I just got lucky.

I’m glad I took the time to go down there, but I as I was there I was thinking that the people that really deserved to see the show were the folks that were thousands of miles away in a desert land. While we celebrated our independence the men and women in foreign countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan were carrying on with their duties. I hope they got to celebrate some and I hope that they got to see some fireworks. We take things for granted far too often.

Happy Birthday America!

No comments: