Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Plane Flies Overhead...

A plane flies overhead. Cars drive down the street, and people are on the sidewalk eager to get home before the rain, or see a friend, or a loved one. There is a rooftop party nearby. I’m still stuck in NYC and my great aunt Gladys will never see these things – she passed away last night.

She almost made it to her 91st birthday. She developed cancer in the last year. She didn’t want to fight it. As she put it, she had a nice long life and was very grateful for the things she had. She was one of those people that was always positive even in the face of adversity. I can’t say that I am built that way, but it was nice to see it in someone. The last time I saw her she was recovering from a broken hip and we all knew she probably wouldn’t make it another year. It seems that once the cancer got aggressive it was over pretty fast.

She died on a Sunday night, and the funeral was on Tuesday. She had her family around her and died in the comfort of her home. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it and even if I could have it would have been very difficult to get there from NYC in the length of time available. I feel bad that I couldn’t make her funeral, but I also am happy that I got to see her not too long ago.

Afterward – I wrote that the day after her death, on July 11th. I haven’t been able to find the time to post it.

No comments: