Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Friend's DUI

Recently, one of my good friends was attending a going away party for another friend of mine. My first friend apparently gets pretty messed up and acts a bit obnoxiously. The other friends offer him a ride home, etc., and of course he declines.


Now, I’ve had to deal with drunks before and I’ve had to deal with this particular friend when he’s been wasted. I have never, not one time had a problem getting his keys from him so he wouldn’t drive home. Sure, he’d give me a bit of shit about it but he always gave them up without any real confrontations.


My other friends say that they “gave him every chance in the world,” etc., but what do they do? They called the cops on him. I couldn’t believe it. I have never even heard of such a thing. So my friend gets a DUI and now is in a pretty hard spot. He’s facing a lot of legal problems, fines, etc.


I was pretty pissed off about it and let my other friend know, in no uncertain terms, that I was not happy and that I thought the situation was handled poorly. Again, they professed that they gave him every chance in the world. I wasn’t there, but I find that really hard to believe. Instead of getting any kind of apology I get a rebuttal about how one guy was hit by a drunk driver and still has problems and how this friend had to deal with an abuse husband, etc. Great. So it sounds like they decided to take their anger out on my friend – and this friend is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. I’ve never even heard him say anything bad about anyone.


The other thing was this whole sense of self-righteousness that I read into it. I’ve hung out with these people before and I’ve seen ALL of them get blitzed. I still can’t believe that they did that. I am still reeling I am so angry over it. I hope one day I am not as angry as I am today because I do value the friendship of this person. Still, right now, I don’t even want to talk to them and I may never get over feeling like I won’t ever want to hang out with them at a party or anything. Who knows when they might decide to call the cops on me for some reason?


It kind of sucks to write off an entire group of friends, but as I was told – they all pretty much agreed to the course of action and upon further debate said they’d do the same thing again. I guess fucking over a friend isn’t that big of a deal to them…..

1 comment:

Hopper said...

Man o' man!!! I am beside myself here, I have been to alot of parties, at alot of different friends houses, and I have never heard of this type of blatant buddy F*@!ing!!!