Monday, May 24, 2010

Back in the Big Apple

Yesterday I returned to NYC for the first time in, I don’t know, at least five years. Maybe longer. It was cloudy when we flew in, but you could still see the urban sprawl going on forever and ever. Sometimes, when we land in DFW I hear people commenting on our urban sprawl, but we have nothing on NYC.

I grabbed a cab and headed into the city to my temporary apartment. I’m going to be here for a month and staying at a hotel that was just big enough to open the door wasn’t really an option. Besides, we lucked out and I found a great place for under $300 a night – in Manhattan that’s almost unheard of.

On the drive in, I again noticed how old everything looked. I always forget how long NYC has been here and that while there are about a billion buildings towering into the sky, most of them are fairly old, not new. The architecture and the clash of architectural styles is always interesting.

Of course, the first thing that really hit me when I got into the city was the smell. Just general food and garbage. Strange. I’m staying roughly at the corner of Third and 37th. I don’t quite have my bearings but I think it’s just at the edge of the Manhattan district because it’s not quite “snooty” yet.

I had a nice Italian dinner and there are plenty of things to eat around here – typical NYC. I crashed early because I was tired, but the sun started coming up at about 4:30am. I lost track of when the sirens and noise stopped – if ever, but they were in full swing by 6:00am. I have a feeling I’ll be tired by the end of the day…..

No comments: