Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Pissing Off The Travel Gods


I must have really rubbed someone the wrong way. All of my last few trips have been nightmares in some way, shape, form or fashion lately.

it doesn't help that the airlines are totally jacked up right now. They are overcharging, over selling flights, and implementing policies that make it more difficult to get on and off the airplane. I've heard figures that up to 90% of all flights are delayed, and I'd say based on my experiences this is true.

I was in Montana for the 4th of July weekend. I had a great time and flew home on Monday. I took a morning flight because it was the only thing I could get at a reasonable price. I hate morning flights. I hate getting up at the crack of dawn to catch a plane. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Some of my colleagues love it because the first flight of the day is already at the gate and ready to go.

But not mine. Nope! I get up at 5:00am and make my way to the airport to find out my flight is going to be delayed. To make it better, my connecting flight is also delayed out of DIA. I've said it a thousand times. DIA sucks. I get fucked every time I go through there, but at least I'll make my connecting flight.

And I did....mainly because it was delayed by 5.5 hours! By the time I got back into TX I had been traveling for over 12 hours. That's ridiculous when you really think about it.

And then the fun starts. I am supposed to work on some gear at my house and ship it off to China prior to catching a flight out Tuesday afternoon. You are following this right? Get home late Monday night, fly out Tuesday afternoon.

Monday morning I get up early and the gear has been ordered wrong so I need new parts. I ship it to CA where I am about to fly to so I can work on it there. I get my laundry done and my friend comes to pick me up. Before I even leave the house the flight is delayed. Give me a fucking break. And it really chaps my ass that you still have to check in "on time" or they will fuck you at the ticket counter.

Fine. Get to the airport. The flight is 1.5 hours delayed by the time they board the plane. We get on the plane, they pull out from the gate and park it while a storm comes in. WTF? WHY do they make us get on the plane and back off the gate if we have already blown the on-time-departure metric by 1.5hrs and then park us in a tin-can if they know we aren't getting off the ground?

I sit on the plane for about 45 mins. There are 40 planes stacked up in front of us but we finally get off the ground and are gone. There is no way I am making my connection in San Diego unless it was heinously late, too. And of course, it wasn't. So I missed it. Sorry, last flight out. You're fucked!

I spend the night in San Diego and go back to the airport this morning. I get on a flight that almost made it out on time. I fly to San Jose and I get off the plane and listen to my VM. My client has postponed the job I was supposed to do. 22 hours of traveling at this point, car is paid for, hotel is paid for and now I am in San Jose with a billion other things I could have been working on and they postpone while I am in the air.

What the hell did I do to piss the travel gods off so much? I have no idea, but I am going to KFC tonight and sacrificing a bucket of chicken in my hotel room with some candles. I may even smear peanut butter on myself.

No comments: