Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Plane Fat Bastards!

By now, I’m sure just about everyone has seen this pic –

Photobucket

It made it’s way around the blogosphere and then the news media picked it up and circulated it. Let me first state that I don’t believe that was during takeoff. You might note the two seats that are empty behind him and it looks like he is talking to his buddy either in-flight or prior to take off. Flight attendants are pretty good about not letting people be unsecured during takeoff and landing.

Now unless you are that fat bastard, or you have to deal with him, STFU. If someone wants to be a fat bastard, then let them be a fat bastard. Unfortunately, I have been stuck to people like that on the plane for hours. In fact, I was in the terminal and the largest person in the terminal was a slightly older woman – she was pretty damned big. I thought to myself “I hope I don’t have to be next to her.” I shouldn’t have thought it. Not even for an instant because I got stuck next to her on a regional jet for 2 hours. She was so big that we couldn’t put the armrest between us all the way down. At least she didn’t smell. Fat bastards sweat a lot getting through an airport and onto a plane. There is usually a good chance they aren’t going to smell too good.

But the worst ever was getting stuck to someone that was not quite as big as the person in the picture, but they weren’t far from it. I think a few extra value meal upgrades to the biggie size would have put ‘em there in a year or two. It was an AA flight up to the north east somewhere (Jersey maybe?) and the flight was just under 4 hours in duration. I got stuck in a window seat because I liked to look out the window. This was before I wised up and realized that the isle is the place to be.

Well, this guy sits down in the seat next to me and proceeds to take up ½ of my chair space as well. I’m not kidding and I’m not exaggerating. This guy’s right arm is in my space and taking up about ½ of my spot. I asked the flight chick if there were any other seats available and she said “sorry, full flight,” which it was. I should have got off the plane. I was miserable. This was back when they served real meals on the plane but I had to skip mine because the guy was so fat *I* couldn’t get my tray table down to accept the meal.

I wrote an anti-fat-bastard letter to AA. They didn’t do much, but I’ve since seen other airlines do something. Southwest seems to get quite a bit of attention over it. I recall one person suing them because he felt like he was singled out and embarrassed in front of people when they wouldn’t let him on the plane. Folks – this guy was freaking huge. He would have been lucky to fit in three seats. Southwest didn’t single him out, he singled himself out by stuffing his face with happy meals and krispy creams for 20 years. This guy wouldn’t have been able to be anywhere without feeling out of place.

Anyway, I guess my point is that we often can be cruel and circulate rumors and stories that have nothing to do with us, but I’m glad to see the airlines doing something, hell, anything, about it.

No comments: