Thursday, August 20, 2009

Updates From Cali!!

I know…I know….I never update this anymore. I’ve been out in California at the home office. We are developing courseware and labs around Cisco’s new Nexus 1000 Virtual Switch. We are also updating the labs and courseware for the Nexus 2000, Nexus 5000, and Nexus 7000.

I got assigned to write the lab guides for the Nexus 1000v. Not being a huge VMWare guy, I’ve had a massive learning curve. Dicking around with VMWare is not the same thing as administering VMWare in a vSphere environment and troubleshooting issues with it.

Also, since the Nexus 1000v is so new there just isn’t a lot of good supporting documentation or user groups. When I’d search Cisco or Google for error messages I’d be lucky if even got a hit or two – and usually it was some poor bastard having the same problem without being able to find a solution for it.

So my days stretched out and my hours got long. I think I’ve been averaging about 14 hours a day on this stuff. That includes working on the weekend because there just isn’t a whole lot to do when you are hanging out of town for a while.
But finally, I’m about ½-way done with writing the lab guides for this course. It’s not something I normally do. Design it? No problem. Implement it? No problem. Write lab guides or courseware? Umm….can we get someone else? Nobody ever likes the lab guides anyway.

But I have found a little bit of time here and there to enjoy a nice meal or hit the beach for a bit. Of course the beach was cold both times I got there, which was a nice relief considering it’s still hovering in the 100’s back home.

My g/f flew out for the weekend and we had a good time checking out Sausalito, Pescadero, Los Gatos, and a few other places. There is a really cool toy store in Sausalito. Someone with a warped sense of humor obviously buys their toys. Like this nifty Deluxe Jesus Action figure.

Photobucket


Genius.

They also had the Lunch Lady action figure, which my g/f found highly amusing.

Photobucket

And, Dream Theater is playing out here next week so I have to go see them as they aren’t playing any Texas dates this year. If I am lucky I’ll be going home after that and getting a little downtime. Five / Six weeks on the road is a bit much……

No comments: